Search for content in message boards

Private Trees and DNA Contacts

Replies: 300

Re: Private Trees and DNA Contacts

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 7:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
"but I believe there is a way to keep some of your tree private like pictures with still keeping your tree public. This way people dont steal your pictures. I dont know how to do it since I just keep my whole tree private"

Yes, I posted how to do this on the previous page of this thread. You import your Ancestry tree into your genealogy program or you can get a free one if you don't already have one and then reimport the tree from the program to Ancestry, giving it a different name than your private one. None of the records or pictures will import to Ancestry, and you will have a stripped down tree with just names and dates. Make this stripped down tree public and attach it to your DNA account, under "Manage Your Settings" in your DNA tab. This is what I have. I also have private trees and do this so my DNA matches can see my surnames and locales without having access to my private documents and photos.

And yes, you can block your ethnicity results here at Ancestry so that your matches only see the ethnicity they share with you.

"As a tester I have no issue with my ethnicity but it is some of my matches that do. Should I not test because someone else has a problem with their own ethnicity and freaks out because they are related to someone who isn't quite white?? Ridiculous!!!!! Its their problem not mine"

Precisely so, but I am not getting why this supports keeping a dna match private. If those people are worried about what race they might be related to, then they shouldn't submit their dna into a public data pool. It IS their problem not yours or mine. And certainly no reason for them to keep their dna tree private. If they are worried about finding mixed race or different race relatives in their tree, then I honestly don't know why they would be interested in genealogy in the first place, let alone submit their dna to a public dna data pool. That makes no sense. And if their tree was open to their matches, then they wouldn't have to worry about answering emails to begin with, would they?

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ifrench197 5 Dec 2012 2:03AM GMT 
twotzus 5 Dec 2012 2:22AM GMT 
Melv25 5 Dec 2012 4:16AM GMT 
ifrench197 5 Dec 2012 4:25AM GMT 
Melv25 5 Dec 2012 4:36AM GMT 
ifrench197 5 Dec 2012 4:47AM GMT 
Melv25 5 Dec 2012 10:25AM GMT 
dorava 4 Mar 2013 7:47AM GMT 
Melv25 5 Dec 2012 3:44AM GMT 
ifrench197 5 Dec 2012 3:58AM GMT 
per page