Search for content in message boards

AncestryDNA test results: European Jewish and so far no matches

Replies: 5

Re: AncestryDNA test results: European Jewish and so far no matches

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 10:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Lou: Yes, the Holocaust changed everything. I grew up knowing but I'm still floored by the vast numbers. Towns that used to be strongly Jewish with no Jews left anymore. Cities that used to be a third or more Jewish with a handful left now.

But there were survivors. People who scrambled and made it to other countries outside the war zones. People who stayed and made a new life for themselves in a different part of Europe. And children separated from their families and brought up without them.

If your friend doesn't want to test because he thinks it's not worth it, then yes I'd urge him to. Because his parents were young when they survived and there are likely family members they lost touch with. But if he doesn't want to test because it's emotionally overwhelming, I can understand that.

Most of my family survived (my mom got out of Hungary in 1939, the rest of my direct ancestors left Europe earlier). Some stayed and survived. Some stayed and didn't. But I still find it all overwhelming at times, even though I was born long after the war. Even though my mom was a small child when she left with her parents. Remember, your friend grew up with two concentration camp survivors. That is a completely different experience from what most American Jews have had (or Jews from other non-European countries and even some in Europe).

Poland was hit really hard. My grandfather is from Warsaw and he and his family came to the US just before and after WWI (they were separated). But I hear both his parents had siblings who went all over the world, I just don't know how to find them (my family members who have told me don't remember enough details and my grandparents and great aunts/uncles are all gone).

Cyndi
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cyndi308 16 Nov 2012 8:28PM GMT 
Kelly Wheaton 17 Nov 2012 3:03PM GMT 
cyndi308 17 Nov 2012 4:57PM GMT 
LouFoss1 17 Nov 2012 4:34PM GMT 
cyndi308 17 Nov 2012 5:09PM GMT 
jbarry6899 17 Nov 2012 5:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic