Search for content in message boards

Ancestry DNA linking to family tree

Replies: 7

Re: Ancestry DNA linking to family tree

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 6:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stephens
Thanks Frances, I did go through and do the DNA test. It's been very interesting however the Stephens side of my family tree is still a mystery to me. I've been able to go back to my GGgrandfather who I think is George Stephens (1784-1870 from VA) but that's it. I think he married a Catherine Dempsey, however I have not been able to find many sources to confirm this so I'm still working.

I totally recommend doing the DNA test, I'm coming up with a lot of results. The only crummy thing is that many of my matches are from people who haven't linked their dna test to anyone on their family tree yet, or they have all their trees as private. I have had to go through each result one at a time to check so it's taking time to go through the matches, but other than that, it's been beneficial.

I actually used part of this year's tax refund and bought a second dna test for my paternal aunt (on the Stephens side). You have to produce a bit of spit for the test, and my father wasn't able to do that because of radiation treatments for lymphoma from years ago (that's something to consider when ordering the DNA test).

My email is maryellens517@yahoo.com, and I'll definitely keep your email as a resource. Ironically my father and his siblings grew up with a Frazier family in the 50s and 60s in DC. :)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mary Ellen St... 1 Dec 2012 7:13PM GMT 
tulrose 1 Dec 2012 8:09PM GMT 
bearnut2 3 Dec 2012 3:31AM GMT 
FBFRAZIER76 10 Mar 2013 12:38AM GMT 
Mary Ellen St... 10 Mar 2013 1:08AM GMT 
rmwilliamsjr8... 12 Mar 2013 3:27PM GMT 
oma2004 13 Mar 2013 9:11AM GMT 
allycat113 17 Apr 2013 9:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic