Search for content in message boards

Ethnic breakdown on DNA test results: Problem with Naples, Italy?

Replies: 19

Re: Ethnic breakdown on DNA test results: Problem with Naples, Italy?

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 10:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
For anyone that's interested, I just got back my results from a test that I did at 23andme.com. I came back 62% Italian, 24% nonspecific Southern European (total 86% Southern European),6% nonspecific European, 3% Middle Eastern and 5% unassigned. Obviously this is much different than what I got through Ancestry (see my results in my earlier post). It's also much more in line with what I expected.

Again, I'm not doubting their results, but I think they are making a philosophical mistake about how they are deciding to interpret and display the results. Ancestry.com is a genealogy site, yet it appears they are choosing to display and interpret their results based on what must be movements of populations millenia or multi-millenia ago. Based on the knowledge and evidence and seeing how 23andme is displaying their data this seems obvious to me. I suspect they are using data to generate their results that comes from studies that were done trying to pinpoint markers back to their original source rather than the the combinations of markers.

If they were to take what seems to be 23andme's approach they would look at the genetic data they've acculumulated plus the family trees associated with them to make much more accurate, and to a genealogist, relevant predictions. For example, if my closest genetic matches have known ancestors in Naples, then there's a better chance that I have a genetic component from there. This would place our ancestry back into a much more recent time period e.g. a few hundred years, rather than the thousands of years that they must currently be predicting.

Lastly, 23andme.com provides at least 20 times the information that ancestry.com is providing with their results. Even the cousin matching seems better which surprised me since I thought Ancestry would have a larger database.

TLDR; 23andme.com's results appear to be way more accurate
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
squally189 10 Dec 2012 4:53AM GMT 
jbarry6899 10 Dec 2012 1:37PM GMT 
jbarry6899 10 Dec 2012 5:44PM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 12 Dec 2012 4:37AM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 16 Jan 2013 11:41PM GMT 
starlight2me2 17 Jan 2013 4:54AM GMT 
squally189 12 Feb 2013 5:25PM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 13 Feb 2013 2:27AM GMT 
starlight2me2 13 Feb 2013 9:27PM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 13 Feb 2013 10:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

  • Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions