Search for content in message boards

Ethnic breakdown on DNA test results: Problem with Naples, Italy?

Replies: 19

Re: Ethnic breakdown on DNA test results: Problem with Naples, Italy?

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 2:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jan 2013 2:29PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I think it would be great to see more raw data on these tests. I've fully positively identified every individual in my tree back 4 generations and every one of them has an Italian surname and came from there. Wouldn't these results mean that virtually all of them would have had some subset of my results? It implies that there must have been a significant migration from those areas into my areas of Italy. Extra data might show when that happened.

I'm not doubting the results at all, I just think that there should be evidence that, for example, people from the Naples area of Italy must have a similar profile to this and that they should be able to identify that.

I would imagine results along the lines of what they're showing, but with another layer that says "here are other areas in the world that show this mixture of markers". I would think they would then be able to identify that area and others. Even New Haven, Connecticut might be able to be identified this way as that was one of the primary destinations of the migration to the US from Southern Italy. You look at the ship manifests and it's pages of people heading to New Haven to work at, for example, Sargent or some other factory. Even today, 40-50% of the New Haven area is still of Italian descent.

I'm having my mother tested, so we'll see what portion is hers. She's 50% northern Italian (Marche) and 50% Naples (Castellamare). My father is 100% Naples area (50% Amalfi, 50% Scafati). I'm curious whether she'll get most of that Central European. She has many of the northern Italian features that perhaps came from Central/Northern Europe like the blue eyes and fair skin.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kaitlynsheeha... 2 Jan 2013 8:50PM GMT 
squally189 2 Jan 2013 9:28PM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 13 Feb 2013 2:30AM GMT 
squally189 13 Feb 2013 2:54AM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 13 Feb 2013 2:59AM GMT 
Little_Red_Ri... 5 Jan 2013 6:56PM GMT 
pelusonorway 8 Jan 2013 11:10PM GMT 
walshtomj 13 Feb 2013 11:43PM GMT 
walshtomj 13 Feb 2013 11:52PM GMT 
Jason Gervase 11 Mar 2013 12:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions