Search for content in message boards

Only female common ancestors?

Replies: 46

Re: Only female common ancestors?

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 11:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Interestingly, ancestry.com matches have only recently, say in the last 3-4 weeks, started showing both spouses as shared ancestors. Before that you would get a shared ancestor to the male, but if you looked in your surname list, you would see the maiden name (sometimes) and by clicking on it, you would find the spouse of the shared ancestor. So they don't do it consistently now, but going back to old matches, I am now seeing both spouses showing up as shared ancestors when they didn't before. They must have tinkered with the program to allow it to find both.

It all seems to be evolving, and I can only imagine how many choices the programers have to make in designing the search engine!

The other issue is undoubtedly that we users often have difficulties worked out these female lines, because of the name changes etc. I have found the DNA match a wonderful new tool because it will find me a match to a sibling (shows up only as a shared surname, but I can then look at where the sibling surname was and use location and dates to place my lonely female into a family that was unknown before).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
peggyannchown... 2 Jan 2013 4:34PM GMT 
cyndi308 2 Jan 2013 5:11PM GMT 
scwbcm 2 Jan 2013 6:26PM GMT 
sl_kelly 2 Jan 2013 7:32PM GMT 
smsitton 2 Jan 2013 6:57PM GMT 
cyndi308 2 Jan 2013 7:24PM GMT 
smsitton 2 Jan 2013 7:43PM GMT 
smsitton 2 Jan 2013 7:58PM GMT 
sherburl 2 Jan 2013 9:33PM GMT 
scwbcm 2 Jan 2013 9:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions