Search for content in message boards

How do you document positive Ancestry matches?

Replies: 7

Re: How do you document positive Ancestry matches?

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 7:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Excel is saving my sanity. Over 2000 matches since I got my results in Sept, and they keep pouring in. I star any match where I know or suspect the common link, and make a note right away. Then I immediately enter each starred match on my spreadsheet in exactly the same placement that ancestry gave them. I only work as fast as I can keep up with the spreadsheet. My columns are User name, Relationship to me, Surnames of interest to me, Locations of interest to me, Contact info if any, and Misc. notes. I can quickly scan my spreadsheet and find a particular match, or look at the spread of certain surnames and locations. Much faster than looking at individual notes provided by ancestry. It's well worth the time as patterns are emerging. About every tenth match provides me with a clue, and the rest I "discard". They just sit there waiting in behind the scenes, and when ancestry gives us search tools, I'll go back through them. I threw out my paper notes, and print out my spreadsheet now and then. It does take a lot of organization, but it's worth it to me. I only contact my closest matches, and use my spreadsheet as prep to follow up on distant matches when they give us our raw data.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SerenoaBarb 3 Jan 2013 6:51PM GMT 
scwbcm 3 Jan 2013 7:09PM GMT 
smsitton 3 Jan 2013 7:52PM GMT 
sherburl 3 Jan 2013 11:30PM GMT 
rln3643 4 Jan 2013 2:38AM GMT 
scwbcm 4 Jan 2013 5:17AM GMT 
sl_kelly 4 Jan 2013 7:48AM GMT 
sl_kelly 4 Jan 2013 7:53AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic