Search for content in message boards

Five Myths about Ancestry DNA

Replies: 41

Re: Five Myths about Ancestry DNA

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 12:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Couple of thoughts:
First, check the possible shared name list AND the whole name list for possible quirky spellings. I have a 3rd Gr Grandmother who was probably illiterate. The marriage record has her last name (Fraiser or Fraizer) spelled phonetically as said with a heavy southern drawl. I have 3 possible cousin matches to the same Frazier family living in the same region where she was born. Needs more research.

Second the "other company" has its own issues. Yes you get the raw data but many of the subscribers are using the health aspect not the genealogy aspect and don't know or care who their grandparents are. Plus there are very few uploaded GEDCOM files. All the companies have pros & cons.

Third, I would settle of a SEARCH function that included private trees. That way if they are part of one of my 'lost' or 'brick wall' families, I could request to see their tree. I have had one hint to a private tree and he was quick to allow me to view it. Or they should have the option of making a tree private to overall Ancestry and public to the DNA portion.

Last, I do know how to read raw data and am patiently awaiting to see it so I can evaluate some of my matches with conflicting data. It would also help to evaluate matches when I appear to have more than one from very different lines.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ajmr1a1 7 Jan 2013 4:21PM GMT 
MJ782 7 Jan 2013 7:52PM GMT 
jbarry6899 7 Jan 2013 8:04PM GMT 
Nachalink123 7 Jan 2013 8:13PM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 8 Jan 2013 3:29PM GMT 
pelusonorway 8 Jan 2013 11:16PM GMT 
SerenoaBarb 7 Jan 2013 2:43PM GMT 
pelusonorway 7 Jan 2013 3:44PM GMT 
Kelly McAllis... 18 Jan 2013 3:00AM GMT 
jbarry6899 18 Jan 2013 3:16AM GMT 
per page