Search for content in message boards

More Bang for Your Buck

Replies: 9

Re: More Bang for Your Buck

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 11:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
The correct word should have been geneticist. Also, I believe I should have posted to the Autosomal board. I am not familiar with the other DNA test. I apologize.

I took the test to help with three family lines that have been dead ends for years. Initially, I believe my sister took the test because she was curious. Comparison of our results indicated differences; so, we are waiting on our parent’s results. The hope is that our parent’s results will help resolve some of the ambiguities encountered while applying the results to our tree. The point I attempted to emphasize in the initial post is that testing multiple immediate family members has distinct advantages.

In my opinion, given the current format for the Autosomal test, collaboration between members is beneficial and in some cases may be critical to resolve issues. For example, one member and I shared a proven match. I matched another member with the same surname but not to a specific individual or locale. I contacted the individual with the proven match and ask if the other member was on their list of matches. Maybe this was simply a case of coincidence but in the end three members gained new information for their respective tree.

In my post, I stated that in some cases excluding a possibility [through DNA] may be better than a match. I have three possibilities that could be my great-great grandfather. There are no records (only the 1870 Census). If I could identify family members from these three possibilities that have taken the test and search my father’s, my sister’s, and my results for these members, no match would be a starting point. Granted, no match or even a match is not absolute proof, but in this case I have nothing and this information gives me something to work with.

Unfortunately, these forms of collaboration require each member involved to manually search their results. As you know, this takes a little time. I do not understand why Ancestry.com will not add a search function to the DNA results.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
wewilsonsc 8 Jan 2013 12:35AM GMT 
Shari S. 8 Jan 2013 2:00AM GMT 
wewilsonsc 8 Jan 2013 6:00PM GMT 
Shari S. 8 Jan 2013 10:29PM GMT 
sherburl 8 Jan 2013 10:55PM GMT 
dwohl13 8 Jan 2013 11:07PM GMT 
wewilsonsc 8 Jan 2013 11:37PM GMT 
derekbennett2... 12 Jan 2013 8:40PM GMT 
sherburl 12 Jan 2013 10:26PM GMT 
Joseph Case 14 Jan 2013 1:31AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions