Search for content in message boards

More Bang for Your Buck

Replies: 9

Re: More Bang for Your Buck

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 7:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Not to derail, but why did you take this test, if you aren't a genealogist?

(Sincerely asking. Is your sister the genealogist? Were you mostly curious about the ethnic breakdown? I think a lot of us assume that other test-takers have the same goals, so I'm interested in other scenarios.)

And yeah, the more you can put into the test (paper trail work, testing family members), the more you will get out of it - no argument. Counting the days until my Dad tests (yDNA at FTDNA, not sure yet about autosomal). Being able to phase and even just make comparisons and eliminations is going to be pretty amazing.

Still, with Ancestry's tree-sharing features (a form of collaboration, but not one that demands immediate interaction), if they just added a segment comparison tool, one could do quite a bit of work and discovery without having to collaborate in a more traditional sense. I'm not advocating that, just saying there's a lot of potential here to make great strides in your research via DNA even if you're a lone, introverted tester.

(Actually, I *am* kind of advocating for that, because with 3000+ matches and counting, it's nice if you can develop research questions before involving other humans. I can barely keep up with my messages and email as it is, lol. Luckily most people are patient, but I do love me some efficiency.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
wewilsonsc 8 Jan 2013 12:35AM GMT 
Shari S. 8 Jan 2013 2:00AM GMT 
wewilsonsc 8 Jan 2013 6:00PM GMT 
Shari S. 8 Jan 2013 10:29PM GMT 
sherburl 8 Jan 2013 10:55PM GMT 
dwohl13 8 Jan 2013 11:07PM GMT 
wewilsonsc 8 Jan 2013 11:37PM GMT 
derekbennett2... 12 Jan 2013 8:40PM GMT 
sherburl 12 Jan 2013 10:26PM GMT 
Joseph Case 14 Jan 2013 1:31AM GMT 
per page