Search for content in message boards

More Bang for Your Buck

Replies: 9

More Bang for Your Buck

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 5:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jan 2013 5:50AM GMT
Since the staff members at Ancestry.com are paralyzed, if you want the most out of your AncestryDNA investment, you need patience, collaboration, and tests from multiple family members.

Most important, you need a lot of patience. Ancestry.com has not made an effort to provide any functional administrative tools for using or managing DNA matches. Any practical use of the DNA results requires a manual search.

If you are not collaborating with multiple users, you are wasting your money. Surname and locale matches are a good start, but what if there are two or more matches or no commonality at all? I have fifty-nine pages of DNA matches. Only one matched another user’s tree well enough to get an “ancestry DNA hint.” All of the other matches I have proven required collaboration with one or more users; two of these were dead ends for years. If you are not collaborating, you are guessing, and you could guess without paying for the test. One last thought on collaborating, in most cases, excluding a possibility, is better than a match.

I am not a geneticist and will admit to being an idiot; however, even an idiot can see a trend in the following scenario. My ethnicity is 89% Central Europe, 6% British Iles, and 5% Uncertain. My sister’s ethnicity is 71% Central Europe, 24% British Isles, and 5% Eastern Europe. Also, even though we share numerous DNA matches, we have approximately thirty matches we do not share; several are proven matches. The point, DNA is dependent on the shuffling of the cards at conception.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
wewilsonsc 8 Jan 2013 12:35AM GMT 
Shari S. 8 Jan 2013 2:00AM GMT 
wewilsonsc 8 Jan 2013 6:00PM GMT 
Shari S. 8 Jan 2013 10:29PM GMT 
sherburl 8 Jan 2013 10:55PM GMT 
dwohl13 8 Jan 2013 11:07PM GMT 
wewilsonsc 8 Jan 2013 11:37PM GMT 
derekbennett2... 12 Jan 2013 8:40PM GMT 
sherburl 12 Jan 2013 10:26PM GMT 
Joseph Case 14 Jan 2013 1:31AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions