Search for content in message boards

Ancestry.com DNA is NOT a waste for money for many...

Replies: 26

Re: autosomal DNA results

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 8:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Unfortunately, at this early stage (only been available for roughly a year and only open to anyone to take for about four months) searching for matches that will help you expand your tree or get around brick walls is mostly a trial and error process.

I personally pay little attention to estimate of confidence as i have found best discoveries in low or very low confidence groups. I now search every match thru every branch, regardless of whether ancestry.com has found a matching surname. Most important is they only match 10 generations of names so they miss most of colonial american names that tend ( for me at least ) to be 12 or 13 gens back. Different for male names that passe down more generations, but those female daughters of pilgrims never show up.

On spelling of surnames, i haven't figures that out yet..i look for locations, dates, and surnames and sometimes overcome misspellings that way.

The bottom line, however, is having matches to other researchers with robust trees. Ancestry.com can tell you the dna matches, but if the other person hasn't filled out their tree, there are not names to match. It is very timeconsuming, but i search every branch of every tree i match with, even when ancestry finds a shared ancestor because, especially with colonial america, there are sometimes multiple matches.

Maybe someone will write a "dummies guide to ancestry.dna" but right now, it is pretty much looking under every branch of a tree to find those little jewels...you may find a only a handful of great links, but when it is a break thru a brick wall (often those female lines) it is super exciting.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
knordbrad 26 Jan 2013 6:29AM GMT 
sherburl 26 Jan 2013 11:39AM GMT 
susandallri 29 Jan 2013 2:51PM GMT 
smsitton 29 Jan 2013 3:45PM GMT 
DPotts57 29 Jan 2013 4:20PM GMT 
scwbcm 29 Jan 2013 5:02PM GMT 
jbarry6899 29 Jan 2013 5:25PM GMT 
scwbcm 29 Jan 2013 5:36PM GMT 
jbarry6899 29 Jan 2013 5:41PM GMT 
scwbcm 29 Jan 2013 5:46PM GMT 
per page