Search for content in message boards

"Member Match" AncestryDNA vs. surname matches

Replies: 6

Re: "Member Match" AncestryDNA vs. surname matches

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 3:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
I posted earlier today about finding YouTube videos about DNA; some of them are produced by Ancestry.com. I didn't know until we watched the YouTube video titled "AncestryDNA; What to Do With All Those Matches,"
[link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv3_JCWUF-s]
that the surnames listed at the top of your match are NOT matches to your family surnames, unless found in a "Hint" chart. They just highlight names in common between your tree and a tree of someone whose DNA IS A MATCH to yours. I was puzzled for a long time because, like probably most of you, we have a sprinkling of Jones and Smith surnames in our tree, and we kept getting matched to other trees with those surnames. When I looked at them, the individuals belonging to those names were not at all in the same geographic or chronological location as my family members. Now I know the surname list MIGHT help me to look more closely at a lineage, but the real DNA match may be elsewhere, even through an ancestor I don't have listed yet in my tree.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pgrieff 26 Jan 2013 2:35AM GMT 
cyndi308 26 Jan 2013 3:33AM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 28 Jan 2013 3:02PM GMT 
hrnmsf 28 Jan 2013 10:38PM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 29 Jan 2013 12:47AM GMT 
sl_kelly 29 Jan 2013 12:59AM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 29 Jan 2013 2:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions