Search for content in message boards

"Member Match" AncestryDNA vs. surname matches

Replies: 6

Re: "Member Match" AncestryDNA vs. surname matches

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 8:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
I haven't been successful in absolutely determining matches in cases such as you cite. HOWEVER, because of general family migration patterns, I can often figure that there is probably a match amongst this line (or another) due to looking at surname, location AND time period.

For example, I have lots of colonial lines. I've been able to trace from say eastern NC up to Virginia or Maryland. I've paid attention to other names in the censuses (family groups tended to migrate together, and often intermarried). You may look at the surnames and the years and the location and find that's an indication that some generation or two further up your tree (or theirs) may be where your lines converged.

Another thing that has helped me is to continue to flesh out the cousins and the siblings of my ancestors. That links me up to more surnames and locations.

AND, when I'm looking at the trees, I ALWAYS look at the PEDIGREE to go upward. It's useless to compare the family view until you've gotten back to the common place and time...

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pgrieff 26 Jan 2013 2:35AM GMT 
cyndi308 26 Jan 2013 3:33AM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 28 Jan 2013 3:02PM GMT 
hrnmsf 28 Jan 2013 10:38PM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 29 Jan 2013 12:47AM GMT 
sl_kelly 29 Jan 2013 12:59AM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 29 Jan 2013 2:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic