Search for content in message boards

AncestryDNA results question

Replies: 7

Re: AncestryDNA results question

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 1:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
These are the steps I take. Others may have better suggestions:

First, I look at each public tree. I click on each of the common names. If the person or people are from the same general area and the same time frame, I look closer. (For example, a lot of my ancestors immigrated to New England in the 1600s to 1700s. I don't pay attention to the same surnames who are from Virginia. Those are probably not my family.) If they are from the same town or village, but I don't see exact matches, I look at both our charts to see if they go back to a common ancestor a few generations back. I also look at our chart's list of siblings on the chance one of us just didn't find the parents.

Then I glance through all the surnames in case there is a slightly different spelling to look at. I certainly don't remember every name on my chart, but I do remember most back 5 or 6 generations.

If I see the surname of one of my many "brick wall" grandparents, I copy all the names on their chart (mostly still in the same region) and paste it into a text file. I watch that list and when I start seeing a patters - the same surname family repeating over and over - I focus on that family to find their lost son or daughter. That's where a paper trail comes in. DNA shows me a MRCA (most recent common ancestor) but it is up to me to connect that person to my ancestor through the descendents.

I don't pay attention to the Ethnicity Report because it represents ancient migration and is not often relevant to recent genealogy.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jimpogozelski 4 Feb 2013 2:19PM GMT 
sherburl 4 Feb 2013 2:37PM GMT 
jimpogozelski 4 Feb 2013 2:55PM GMT 
sherburl 4 Feb 2013 3:10PM GMT 
jimpogozelski 4 Feb 2013 3:16PM GMT 
sherburl 4 Feb 2013 3:25PM GMT 
MJ782 4 Feb 2013 8:20PM GMT 
jimpogozelski 5 Feb 2013 7:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions