Search for content in message boards

Odd Scandinavian results?

Replies: 17

Re: Odd Scandinavian results?

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 3:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Mar 2013 3:59PM GMT
That is why I believe that "Scandinavian" can imply a lot of things. The Saxons and Danes had similar culture, similar language, and the Saxons came from Denmark. For all intents and purposes the Saxons were Scandinavian. The Saxons, Angles, Jutes, Normans, and Celtic/Britons became what we know now as the English. That explains the large genetic variations among the people of the British Isles. I read that only a small percentage of the English even have Viking ancestry. Is the ancestry Scandinavian? Perhaps. But is it Viking? Probably not. That is my take. I do not have any Nordic surnames in my family. The chances of so many Anglo-Americans having enough Viking ancestry to pass on to me a whopping 52 percent Norse-Scandinavian is quite small. I am writing it off as Saxon or even Angle ancestry. I have even seen an old map of Old England before the kingdoms united into one English kingdom. Most of my ancestral names come from counties that were in the Saxon kingdoms. Stoner is in fact a Saxon name, and was seated in Saxon land, and Hubbard, though apparently Norman in origin, was seated in old Saxon territory after William the Conqueror took the crown. I suppose it is easier if you are like me and have noble heritage. There is far more documentation on where names came from. One day I hope to be able to narrow it all down to exact people and exact dates. But for now this is good enough. I would love to see the raw data from this test .
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
joshthetroubl... 13 Mar 2013 7:46AM GMT 
MJ782 13 Mar 2013 8:15PM GMT 
joshthetroubl... 13 Mar 2013 9:56PM GMT 
Shalandara 13 Mar 2013 10:10PM GMT 
sherburl 13 Mar 2013 10:49PM GMT 
joshthetroubl... 14 Mar 2013 1:50AM GMT 
MJ782 14 Mar 2013 4:56AM GMT 
joshthetroubl... 14 Mar 2013 7:34PM GMT 
jrsullins 21 Mar 2013 11:02PM GMT 
joshthetroubl... 21 Mar 2013 11:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions