Search for content in message boards

Sharing goes both ways and it;s about more than linking trees

Replies: 19

Sharing goes both ways and it;s about more than linking trees

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 12:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Mar 2013 10:00AM GMT
After the numerous fiery debates regarding DNA matching and private trees I really have to wonder just how many of those matches are interested in real collaboration over linking to any tree they might find a match to. I had delete my private tree because some living descendants had escaped the filters but since Oct. I've had 3 matches to descendants of a man who I had been researching for many years as the brother of my 3G-Grandfather who left few records all of them found in his descendant's lives.

I was very excited by these matches because it did confirm the relationship existed between the 2 families but more importantly because I had some vital source documents including the baptismal records of the majority of his children, an 1812 Petition for services to country some numerous others including his death/burial place which any tree that cites it has it wrong. These are source documents not readily available and include baptismal records of the own ancestor and gives additional records on his other children they also don't have.

I was really excited about the possibility of finding our common ancestors one match did reply to my contact and in early Dec. I emailed them all the baptismal records as well as both records of his marriages. They haven't bothered to respond that yet. The other two matches didn't reply at all despite the fact that I was offering additional records.

It has become apparent that the majority aren't interested in any collaboration that can't be obtained by downloading trees. So much for hoping for further collaboration on our mutual ancestor who's record isn't loaded into a tree or easily accessible since apparently even an email is too much work.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dedted29 25 Mar 2013 6:38PM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 26 Mar 2013 10:28AM GMT 
dedted29 26 Mar 2013 11:20AM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 26 Mar 2013 12:19PM GMT 
dedted29 26 Mar 2013 3:05PM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 26 Mar 2013 3:12PM GMT 
oma2004 27 Mar 2013 9:05AM GMT 
DPotts57 27 Mar 2013 12:01PM GMT 
oma2004 27 Mar 2013 12:31PM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 28 Mar 2013 9:51AM GMT 
per page