Search for content in message boards

Haplogroup prediction from raw data?

Replies: 39

Re: Haplogroup prediction from raw data?

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 8:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Apr 2013 8:55PM GMT
Mike,

I'm used to approaching this from the other direction (Y-DNA) so I'm not sure if I can answer. I will say that as far as I know it is not a numbers game - your haplogroup is determined by specific values for specific SNP(s), you either are or you aren't. I know my haplogroup from doing an SNP test at FTDNA, so when I first looked at my Promethease report I just saw the R1b... which is correct although it uses an older designation. However, I just went back and saw the I and Y (which doesn't exist, maybe they meant Y chromosome?) so I'm not sure what they are trying to tell you. The author of Promethease said in another thread that the focus was on medical and not haplogroups, so there could be some errors in how it is interpreted.

Typically you take a Y-DNA test which gives a series of markers called STRs. Your specific sequence of those markers is called your haplotype. Based on that, they can predict your haplogroup because other people with the same or similar haplotype have tested positive for some specific SNP(s). If you want to carry it further down the tree, you can get tested for whatever SNP is appropriate for your grouping.

I think the problem with ancestry DNA (and thus Promethease) is that the SNP picture as far as haplogroups is incomplete. For example, they may have tested 2 important ones but not a third, so you'll get incomplete or conflicting results. There will also be haplogroups that won't be represented at all. And as mentioned, it could simply be mistakes in their database.

David Mc
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
weeare138 21 Apr 2013 2:49PM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 24 Apr 2013 10:39PM GMT 
weeare138 25 Apr 2013 1:50AM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 25 Apr 2013 2:53AM GMT 
DougCorbin51 24 Apr 2013 11:38PM GMT 
jsnavely 25 Apr 2013 12:23AM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 25 Apr 2013 12:50AM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 25 Apr 2013 12:55AM GMT 
jsnavely 25 Apr 2013 5:42AM GMT 
weeare138 25 Apr 2013 11:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions