Search for content in message boards

Why can't I make any matches?

Replies: 5

Re: Why can't I made any matches?

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 1:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
"Did something go wrong with my results? Is it possible to have so many "matches" but no concrete connections?"

Yes, it is entirely possible. Many of the low and very low confidence matches could be statistical coincidences. Others may be so distant that neither you nor your match has the documentation. For you to get a match, both you and your relatives must have tested. Currently, Ancestry DNA is available only in the United States so unless other American descendants of your father's Ukrainian and Polish families tested you will not get any matches on those lines.

For comparison, I have about 6,000 "matches" from three companies. Of those, five have identifiable common ancestors, and five more have identifiable common locations. That is a rate of about 0.17%. People with Colonial American ancestry, however, get a much better return.

I have found autosomal DNA testing much more useful for confirming matches that I have already found through traditional genealogy than for finding new relatives.

Jim
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MalloryBresol... 9 Jul 2013 7:12PM GMT 
jbarry6899 9 Jul 2013 7:38PM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 10 Jul 2013 3:03PM GMT 
chi1k 10 Jul 2013 5:03PM GMT 
MalloryBresol... 10 Jul 2013 5:33PM GMT 
lincoln5775 11 Jul 2013 4:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions