Search for content in message boards

23and Me

Replies: 6

23and Me

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 3:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
I had autosomal DNA done on Ancestry and then uploaded it to GEDmatch and to FTDNA (for 49 dollars)
I'm debating being tested at 23andMe.
I'm mainly interested in the genealogy aspect. Actually feel a little nervous about the health
information
For those of you who have tested there did you find any significant new matches there?

I've heard on a message board for genealogy in my area of Europe that it has the largest
database and there are many people with similar ancestry as mine there.
I don't know if that is true , but even if that is true, a lot of the people tested
probably tested for medical reasons and not for genealogy. So I'm not sure a larger
data base is going to be all that helpful.

My ancestry is very difficult. At the great grandparent level it is in eastern Europe. Those records
are extremely difficult to find and to get anything out of since they are not in English.
I really have almost nothing that will show up on a name search on ancestry.
It is going to take a lot of luck and probably finding someone that knows something for me to
make any headway.
My husband has family on both sides that have been here 350+ years and the number
of matches and the ease of his research makes me very jealous.

anyway, I'd love to hear from people who have tested there as well as here.
What exactly (other than health info) did you get there that you didn't get from other sites.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LKBow 26 Sep 2013 9:53PM GMT 
judeeanderson 27 Sep 2013 3:30AM GMT 
oma2004 27 Sep 2013 7:40AM GMT 
LKBow 27 Sep 2013 2:06PM GMT 
holmes6868 27 Sep 2013 2:48PM GMT 
jbarry6899 27 Sep 2013 3:01PM GMT 
LKBow 27 Sep 2013 4:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions