Search for content in message boards

X Chromosomes

Replies: 2

X Chromosomes

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 12:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to figure out how matching people using X chromosomes works. For example:

Person A is a man. He gets a Y chromosome from his father and an X chromosome from his mother. Because he got only a Y from his father, he gets no further X chromosomes from his father's ancestors. Correct? He gets the X chromosome from his mother and this is where I"m confused. Is this X chromosome intact as it were or is it a mixture of all the mother's possible X chromosomes as they get "weeded" out over the generations? A's mother got one X chromosome from her father and one from her mother. Does A get one or the other of these two X chromosomes or a conglomeration of X chromosomes from all her ancestors. Is this clear? I think this is how mtDNA works. A woman gets her mother's exact mtDNA. Just wondering if is the same for X chromosomes.

So, for example, if I am related to A through his mother but don't show an X chromosome connection could it be because we don't have the same X chromosome even though we are related?

Thanks for any help.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DSUAREZ 22 Oct 2013 6:50AM GMT 
APTurner 22 Oct 2013 9:25AM GMT 
DSUAREZ 22 Oct 2013 2:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic