Search for content in message boards

New!!! BANKSTON DNA Surname Project

Replies: 1

New!!! BANKSTON DNA Surname Project

Posted: 10 Jan 2006 4:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BANKSTON-BANKSON-BENGTSON-BENGTSSON-BENGTSEN
Happy New Year to all BANKSTON researchers! Here’s a new way to energize your BANKSTON research for 2006:

This message is to announce the creation of a new DNA surname project covering the surnames: BANKSTON-BANKSON-BENGTSON-BENGTSSON-BENGTSEN. We invite any interested parties to visit the surname project’s webpage at:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/bankston%2Dbankson%2Dben...

The surname project will be using one of the leading genealogical DNA testing firms in the world, Family Tree DNA (FTDNA), and information on how to join the project can be found at the link given above. Also, much basic information about DNA testing for genealogical purposes, privacy issues, etc. can be found on the FTDNA homepage:

http://www.familytreedna.com

The project will cover all variations of the surname listed above, but it is anticipated the bulk of the participants will likely be descendants (or suspected descendants) of Anders BENGTSSON (1640-1705), from whom many BANKSTONs-BANKSONs in the United States trace their lineage. However, we stress that the project is open to all variations of the surname—in the field of DNA surname projects, the more the merrier, as you never know in advance what the DNA will reveal.

Though there are other types of DNA tests available, for the surname project’s purposes we will be using the Y-DNA test. Without going into the science behind it, briefly, the Y chromosome being tested is only found in males, and is passed down from father to son, generation after generation, virtually unchanged. Thus, by comparing certain markers on this Y chromosome, one male BANKSTON will be able to determine if he is related to another male BANKSTON. Over time, some of these markers will show slight mutations, and this can be a useful way to identify a particular branch within a family.

Bottom line on all this: to submit a DNA sample for the project, a person must be a direct line male descendant bearing the BANKSTON (or variation) surname. However, other BANKSTON researchers can participate in the project by recruiting a male relative to submit a DNA sample, or by contributing to the cost of another’s test, etc. There is a General Fund link on the project’s website which will easily allow you to contribute towards another’s test. If anyone has questions about that, feel free to contact me and I’ll be happy to provide more detail.

FTDNA currently offers three levels of Y-DNA test: 12-25-37 markers. Basically, the more markers tested, the more useful information can be gleaned. The group rate for the three test levels is: $99-$169-$219. The 37 marker test is recommended, but if cost is a factor, a lower marker test can be ordered initially and upgraded later without having to resubmit a DNA sample. To avoid making this message even longer than it is, let me say that if you have questions as to what level of test to order, feel free to contact me and again, I’ll be happy to give you more detail.

Lastly, who the heck am I? My name is Ken Parks, and I have been the group administrator for the PARK/E/S DNA Surname Project for the last two years. My paternal grandmother was a BANKSTON, and we can only trace our BANKSTON ancestry back to her great grandfather, Grimes B. BANKSTON (b. c1818 TN?-d. bet. 1870-80 Meigs Co., TN). My goal in all of this is to see if my BANKSTON cousins are a match with any of the known descendants in the Anders BENGTSSON (Andrew BANKSTON) line, most likely through his grandson Lawrence (1704 PA-1774 Orange Co., NC).

We invite all who can submit a DNA sample to do so, whether from a fragment line such as mine, or those who can trace their ancestry back to Anders or any other known immigrant ancestor. Both types of DNA samples are useful, along with whatever lineage information is available. This will all be posted on the surname project’s webpage to enable all BANKSTON researchers to find others who may connect with their lines to the benefit of all involved.

One final word on privacy issues: Both FTDNA and the BANKSTON surname project will maintain strict privacy of the test participant’s identity. FTDNA has its own very involved privacy procedures, which are explained on their website. No test participant will be identified by name on the project’s webpage, only by a number. Also, when lineage information is posted for a test participant, no living individuals will be identified by name.

Sorry this has been such a long message—lots of info to get out for those who might not be familiar with the whole Y-DNA surname testing process, so thanks for sticking with me! I look forward to hearing from lots of you in the coming weeks, and please feel free to contact me anytime with questions or suggestions.

Ken Parks—Group Administrator-BANKSTON-BANKSON-etc. DNA Surname Project
kenparks@earthlink.net

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kenparks 10 Jan 2006 11:54AM GMT 
spiritsouth 8 Dec 2012 3:04AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions