Search for content in message boards

Lynum surname spelling variations

Replies: 1

Re: Lynum surname spelling variations

douglas brooks (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 11:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
The slaves who worked the Linam plantation are an interesting subject. They were a very large family and spelled their name variously, Linam, Linum, Lynam, and Lynum. In about 1950, my great-aunt visited the John Hodges Linam plantation and she spoke to some of the Black Linam's who still lived in the area and who were the descendants of the former Linam slaves. There was an interesting story, to wit: After the Civil War, Jack Linam the former slave farmed land (abt. 250 acres) down the road from the J.H. Linam plantation. On occassion, he would ride by the Linam plantation house and if he saw some Linam's in the yard he reportedly would wave at them and say" Hi cousins and laugh. Now my aunt is in her mid-90's but she told me this about 30 years ago. John Hodges Linam at one time owned about 50 slaves. According to the Lawrence Co. tax rolls he was about the 4th largest slave-owner in the county. In George Linam's will he bequeaths a young female slave, "Hannah", to John Hodges Linam. If you look on the 1870 Colored Census of Lawrence Co., Tn. (available on the Lawrence Co. GenWeb site, you will find about 20-plus Black Linam's listed. One of these is Hannah. She was born in Union Co., S.C. in about 1793 and died sometime after 1870 based on the census. I beleve that one Jack Linam, listed on the 1870 census, as 45 years old, was Hannah's mother. A Jack Linam, an Adrican-American, currently lives in Nashville, Tn. His telephone is available through directory assistance. I've spoken to his wife and it seems that this Black Linam family is related to the former slaces of John Hodges Linam. Hope this helps.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
@@JustinLinam... 26 Jul 2001 7:02PM GMT 
douglas brooks 11 Feb 2002 6:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions