Search for content in message boards

Cherry picking my tree(s), Folks who don't want to admit to being a tiny part black.

Replies: 25

Re: Cherry picking my tree(s), Folks who don't want to admit to being a tiny part black.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 12:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SCOTT
Dear Fellow Researchers:

In our enthusiasm to find our ancestors... our roots... we sometimes become overzealous and are too quick to post, as fact, what may be fiction. I came across this Board because I posted a correction regarding "Everet Scott," who is a great uncle (a brother of my grandfather). He is, correctly: Everett E. Scott, and his yob is 1879. The census taker made the spelling and calculation errors... something which happened more often than one would think. Do not assume the information on any records is correct. At times it is NOT. Consider, too, transcription errors made by employees of Ancestry, LDS, and every other Genealogy agency in the world. It can take years to find an ancestor who is lost in the sea of errors and/or misinformation. You have to be a detective and sniff out the truth BEFORE you publish.

Those who have been researching for decades are much more cautious. They would rather take their time assembling the puzzle, and experience the thrill of finding just the right piece, instead of trying to force a piece to fit where it does not belong. Some of the misinformation is never corrected, and will be repeated and adopted by others.

As for "race," remember that the census taker made VISUAL judgments or suppositions more often than ASKING residents their race, which is why you will see parents and children, in the same family and household, designated by different race symbols: W, B, C, I, Neg, or Mu. This is the case with my Scott family and most "mixed-race" families. If they were light-skinned, the census taker assumed/declared them mulatto or white. Were these people "passing?" NO! It was a matter of circumstance, not plan. Sort of "what will be, will be." You will also note the same people designated as different races in different census years. My family has been adjudged all the above. Really, what difference does it make? You know who you are! It matters not if they were slave or free; white, black, red, or yellow. All of those beautiful colored threads, when woven together, produce the most beautiful, vibrant quilt. We are what we are, and unless we are ashamed of ourselves, we should be overjoyed to find, and stitch together, all of those beautiful, sometimes elusive, threads into our own personal quilt... one by one.

Please be happy with your research, and take your time to verify everything before you share it with others. If you have posted any erroneous information, be willing to remove it. As for race, this is hardly a topic for argument. You cannot force ANYONE to open their mind or heart unless they choose to. Sometimes, it takes time for people to chew and digest information they've never before had to even taste. Work together with the knowledge and comfort that we are ONE human family, with ONE common ancestor.

The Apostle Paul addressed that very topic and made the following statement: (Acts 17:24-28) "The God that made the world and all the things in it, being, as this One is, Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in handmade temples, neither is he attended to by human hands as if he needed anything, because he himself gives to all [persons] life and breath and all things. And he made out of ONE [man](Adam)every nation of men, to dwell upon the entire surface of the earth, and he decreed the appointed times and the set limits of the dwelling of [men], for them to seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us. For by him we have life and move and exist, even as certain ones of the poets among YOU have said, ‘For we are also his progeny (children).’"

As for our "FAMILY TREE," ponder over Job's heartfelt words as he uses the analogy of a tree with regard to the resurrection of the dead: (Job 14:7) "For there exists hope for even a tree. If it gets cut down, it will even sprout again, And its own twig will not cease to be."

Yes, our ancestors who have been "cut down," in death, will live again. We will, then, have the blessing and opportunity to see and speak with them, and get to know them... one by one.

In the First Century, the Apostle Paul confirmed Job's hope: (Acts 24:15) "and I have hope toward God, which hope these [men] themselves also entertain, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous."

Then, our Family TREE will blossom in all its glory.

Happy hunting, and love to all.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Hontas Farmer 15 Sep 2011 2:11AM GMT 
MJones7636 23 Sep 2011 5:06AM GMT 
HL2604 23 Sep 2011 9:46AM GMT 
Hontas Farmer 23 Sep 2011 1:54PM GMT 
Hontas Farmer 23 Sep 2011 10:56AM GMT 
ajmbaird 20 Jan 2012 2:44AM GMT 
Dannyssmile18... 22 Jan 2012 4:26PM GMT 
Hontas Farmer 22 Jan 2012 4:44PM GMT 
HL2604 10 Feb 2012 8:58PM GMT 
BKaucnik 19 Feb 2013 7:05AM GMT