Search for content in message boards

William CORLEY d 1853 Wilson Co TN

Replies: 3

William CORLEY d 1853 Wilson Co TN

Posted: 21 Jul 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 15 Apr 2005 6:30PM GMT
Surnames: CORLEY, BEYERS, BYARS, HANES, NELSON, DILLARD, FARLEY
William CORLEY was born in 02 Mar 1752 in Hanover Co VA, moved to Louisa Co VA. He married first Mourning BYARS and married second 28 Oct 1797, Frances S HANES. On 22 Apr 1809 William and Frances sold land and slaves and moved to Wilson Co, TN. [Louisa Co., VA. D Bk L: 77]

On 16 Jan 1847 William CORLEY made a last will and testament. The original was last known to be in the possesion of Martha Corley Whitelaw 2/9/1973. Rosemary Corley Neal included the will from a photocopy in her 1991 book "Southern Sojourners; Corley - Sanford and Allied Lines"

To sons Austin CORLEY, James CORLEY, Pleasant CORLEY, son Nathan CORLEY's heirs, and daughter Jane Nelson, children of Mourning (BYARS) CORLEY, five negroes by the names

Orvy
Americus
Stephen
[Ann] Eliza
& Ellen

To be sold proceeds going to William CORLEY's children: Esther and her daughter Mary

To sons Robert CORLEY, Richard CORLEY, and daughter Elizabeth DILLARD, children by Frances S HANES,six negroes by the name of:

Mima
Brackston
Mack
Andrew
Sherard
& Susan

To son Bartlett CORLEY, a negro boy by the name of Anderson during his natural life if he has an heir said boy to go to said heir if he dies without and heir the said boy Anderson to go to the said Robert, Richard, Christpher and Elizabeth DILLARDS children.

A negro boy by the name of James should be sold and devided between Austin CORLEY, James CORLEY, Nathan CORLEY's heirs, Pleasant CORLEY and Jane NELSON.

Executors: Ennis Douglas, Robert Corley & Richard CORLEY.
Witness: Ennis Douglas & James M Douglas.

The final will of William CORLEY was made 22 Dec 1852 and proved 16 Sep 1853.

To son Elisha CORLEY a negro man named Mack.

To the children of my last wife or their heirs, the slave and descenants, that I got with my last wife, to wit, Tilda & her offspring. [Frances S HANES]

To the children of my first wife, Clarrise FARLEY excepted, or their heirs the slaves & their descendants which I received by my first wife, to wit, Anney & her descendants.[Mourning BEYERS]

Ester being a good slave, I wisht that the legatee with whom she may preer to live may take her.

Executor: Joel ALLGOOD.
Witnesses: H STEAD & J C TERRY.
Wilson Co, TN Wills 1853-1858: 12, 13.

Estate Settlement was made during the Januray 1856 Term in Wilson County Tennessee Settlement Record #1: 356, 365. Recorded 11 June 1856.

2nd wife's chidren's family of negroes was hired before they were divided for $110.00

Paid for taking care of the old woman Tilda 1 year $18.00 for the balance of her life $30.00.

1st wife's children's slaves were hired before they were divided for $781.00

The Administrator received from the Clerk & Master for distribution the proceeds of the sales of second wife's children's slaves $3103.25.

Division of slaves:

Austin B CORLEY recieved Mary valued at $790.00
Pleasant CORLEY recieved Ellen valued at $800.00
Jane NELSON recieved Anney valued at $880.00
William CORLEY's chidren recieved Ann Eliza & Tim valued at $1070.00
Nathan CORLEY's children recieved Stephen $880.00 and Esther $280.00.
James CORLEY's children recieved Amicus valued at $900.00

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lynn_olivier 21 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
SKEETS 1 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Peggy_Simons 28 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
princess_kabi... 4 Dec 2012 2:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions