Search for content in message boards

Samuels/Wiseheart Slaves in Nelson County

Replies: 5

Re: Samuels/Wiseheart Slaves in Nelson County

Posted: 7 Jan 2012 6:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Samuels, Stoner, Wiseheart, Pence, James, Barger, Barclay
Hi,

I'm doing research on the area of Samuels (north of Bardstown) in Nelson County, KY. Specifically I'm currently targeting the abandoned Stoner's Chapel Cemetery.

Wilson (and reportedly also Martha) Samuels is buried in this cemetery. The Martha I have listed for the cemetery is Martha M. Stoner Samuels (b. 1822, d. 1903), though I have not yet located her headstone to confirm. Another person said to be buried there whose headstone I have not yet located is Mary R Barclay Samuels (b. 1844, d. 1923). I mention her because you asked in another post about a Mary that was possibly surnamed Barger, and I wondered if it could be Barclay instead? Or, it's possible the Mary buried in the cemetery had the surname Barger and it was misrecollected as Barclay at the time it was recorded.

There is also a John Wiseheart buried in the cemetery, but he died in 1816, and so was more likely the father or grandfather of the John Wiseheart you mention in your first post. Ann C Wiseheart is also buried in the same cemetery.

More interestingly... Wilson had a daughter, Mary Rachel Samuels, who was born Sept. 23, 1848 and died Sept. 20, 1944, who is also buried in this cemetery. She married Thomas Edward "Bud" Pence (also buried in the same cemetery). Rachel is an unusual-enough name that either your previously referenced Rachel and Mary are related (perhaps Rachel was a sister of Mary's mother, Martha?), or perhaps it is possible that your Mary and Rachel are the same person?

Noteworthy is that Bud Pence was one of Frank and Jesse James' best friends (and so was his brother, Donnie Pence). Besides being childhood neighbors, all 4 men were members of Quantrill's Raiders. Bud Pence and Frank James were among those who surrendered to Union troops in Samuels Depot (Nelson County) on July 26, 1865. Donnie Pence would later go on to be Sheriff of Nelson County for almost 30 years. Frank James attended Donnie's funeral in spring of 1896. Bud and Frank were also the prime suspects in the Liberty, MO bank robbery of Feb. 13, 1866.

Wilson Samuels' home was a known refuge for Frank and Jesse James throughout his lifetime.

On rainy days I sometimes explore the old records of Nelson County. If you would like me to look anything up the next time I go (I know you mentioned will book information), then I'd be happy to. I'll see if I can find Rachel Samuels next time I'm there, and I can look for info on anyone else, also.

I'm not sure of the exact scope or direction of his research, but I know Bardstown Historian Penn Bogert is actively researching Nelson County slaves. He may recently have uncovered more information that would be relevant to your search.

Let me know if I can help with anything!! Good luck!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
L. Kimbrough 21 Nov 2005 2:15AM GMT 
mimileone 10 Jan 2009 7:04PM GMT 
KimbroughL 19 Jan 2009 8:40PM GMT 
kayce_humkey1 8 Jan 2012 1:32AM GMT 
KimbroughL 8 Jul 2010 12:30AM GMT 
tonibonew58 12 Mar 2011 2:00AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions