Search for content in message boards

Samuels/Wiseheart Slaves in Nelson County

Replies: 5

Samuels/Wiseheart Slaves in Nelson County

L. Kimbrough (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2005 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings~

I am searching for information about my 3rd great grandfather, Alford/Alfred Samuels and the folks that owned him.

His CW military record provided me with the name of his last slave owner, Mary SAMUELS. I've no information regarding Mary other than at the time that Alford enlisted, she had claimed to be the rightful owner of him and had gained ownership of him through inheritence. This information was found on her Claim for Compensation in which she also declared that she had been loyal to the Union. Attesting to her loyalty were Alexander SAYERS and John H. WISEHEART.

A fellow researcher sent me copies of pages from Patricia Craven's book that lists the names of slaves from Nelson County, KY with their owners. The information came from wills. Amongst the names was a John Wiseheart who had owned a slave by the name of Alford. It seems like a strong possiblity that prior to being owned by Mary, Alford was owned by John Wiseheart.

I have the will book numbers and would love to be able to receive the wills for John Wiseheart, Benjamin Wiseheart and Ann C. Wiseheart (for whom, John H. Wiseheart was the administrator of the estate).

I would also love to connect with anyone else working on learning more about these families.

TIA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
L. Kimbrough 21 Nov 2005 2:15AM GMT 
mimileone 10 Jan 2009 7:04PM GMT 
KimbroughL 19 Jan 2009 8:40PM GMT 
kayce_humkey1 8 Jan 2012 1:32AM GMT 
KimbroughL 8 Jul 2010 12:30AM GMT 
tonibonew58 12 Mar 2011 2:00AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic