Search for content in message boards

Shelby County African Americans - Kerville, TN

Replies: 18

Re: Shelby County African Americans - Kerville, TN

Posted: 28 Oct 2007 9:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hicks, Banks, Hall, Harris, Hawkins, Jackson, Johnson, Lewis, Sneed, Vaughn.. .
Working through the threads. All are names on our tree.

Hayes
Our Hayes line only goes back to early 1900’s. We have Cora Ann, Howard and George Fredrick. Need to fill in links.

In another branch, I have a Fannie Young married to ? Hayes between 1900 and 1950. Do not know his name, nor whether they were married in Memphis or Chicago. She was born in LaGrange TN. Her branch was supposed to have high cheek bones and Native American blood. No memory of mention of children.

Hayes
See Above. My understanding that there were 2 major branches of Hayes in the Memphis area. The “Barbershop” Hayes and the “ Funeral Home’ Hayes. Everything here seems to confirm this. But I have not discovered if there was a connection.

Haynes
Recent addition to tree

Watson
Alice Hall, sister of Ed, married Toby Hicks, offspring Amanda married Joe Nelson Harris. Son Lawrence married Gracie Payne. Her sister Vermedia married a Watson

Malone / Jackson
Thirteen Malone married Benjamin Sneed. Their child Sollie married Mattie Collins, daughter of Crockett Collins and Rosie Jackson. Rosie’s mother was LaCrecy Hicks whose sister Margaret Hicks Hawkins was married to Dan Hawkins, one of the Millington 6 victims.

Weaver
I have a Betsy Weaver married to Walter Hicks of Kerrville in the early 1900’s

Lynching Connections:
My GGGG father Toby Hicks was the brother of Susan Lowe’s GGGG mother Margaret Hicks Hawkins.

Toby Hicks married Alice Hall, sister of Ed Hall

Margaret Hicks married Dan Hawkins
So Ed and Dan both married into the Hicks family and were distantly related through marriage.

Hall
Ed and Alice were two of 9 offspring according to census records. No mention of a John. Father Alfred was born in either 1825 in or 1837, depending on the census Wife Julia was born in 1842. Do not know if either had siblings. There were 4 sons so connection to carry on the name, is possible. I recently came across 2 possible Hicks connections in Texas that originated in Tennessee. No mention in my notes of a Hall on listings but I will recheck my findings.

• So can anyone tie our names into theirs?
• Is there any information on Betsy Weaver available?
• Can anyone give more information on the Barbershop and Funeral Home Hayes?
• Can anyone find Fannie Young on their tree?
• Can anyone tie their information to Hicks family?
Millington, Kerrville, Memphis, Atonka, TN
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SUSANDLOWE 27 Dec 2006 9:51AM GMT 
Fatima101 28 Dec 2006 7:28PM GMT 
SUSANDLOWE 1 Jan 2007 6:22PM GMT 
marilynanders... 7 Mar 2007 2:45AM GMT 
SUSANDLOWE 2 Oct 2010 12:01PM GMT 
JoyceClay71 3 Jan 2007 3:01AM GMT 
MystFaith1 29 Oct 2007 3:36AM GMT 
MystFaith1 20 May 2008 9:29PM GMT 
Contribution 12 Sep 2010 1:52PM GMT 
per page