PHOENIX: Kathleen (Kay) Kennedy Curtis entered into her Father's heavenly arms on September 25, 2009.
Born on October 23, 1929 in Cleveland,Cuyahoga county, Ohio, Kay was voted Prom Queen her senior year while attending John Hay High School. After graduation she met, fell in love and married a fine Irishman, Glenn "Bud" Flannery, an ironworker, realtor, and car salesman in June 1950. They had three children before Bud was stricken with cancer and died in March 1956. Kay entered the workforce, learned to drive a car for the first time, and focused her energies on her children. Within a few short years she found love again in Charles W. Curtis, a union electrician (and terrific dancer) and they wed in November 1958. Kay and Charlie added one more child to their brood in January 1960, daughter, Kathy.
Kay went on to work for the City of Euclid, Ohio and was a secretary for the Sal Copperman Law Firm. She also ran for Lake County, Ohio Recorder in 1969.
Upon moving to Phoenix in l971 with her husband Charlie Curtis and 4 children in tow, she worked for Crown Zellerbach and ran her own bookkeeping business called Papago Secretarial Services. She later became a Purchaser for the Tempe School District where she retired after 17 years of excellent service. In l983, after the passing of Mr. Curtis, she began "A Valley O' the Sun Bed & Breakfast - the only Irish B & B in Arizona".
Not only was she known throughout the US, but internationally as well. She participated in the St. Patrick's Day Parade every year since it first began until 2003 and was active in the Irish community. Her friends said she was truly Phoenix's Irish ambassador and would make Ireland proud.
A loving mother, grandmother, and great grandmother, she is survived by her sons, Kevin & Terry; and daughters, Flannery and Kathleen (Jr.); grandmother to Sean, Chad, Stephen, Patrick, Christina, Erin, Anne Marie, Kelli, Andrew and Michaela; and nine beautiful great grandchildren, which she referred to as her "Precious Angels."
Interment took place at St. Francis Catholic Cemetery in Phoenix, AZ on September 29, 2009.