Search for content in message boards

Seeking Surname Alternates: Stanaitis, Meskauskas, Waraikiute

Replies: 3

Re: Seeking Surname Alternates: Stanaitis, Meskauskas, Waraikiute

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 10:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Meskauskas, Valius, Devenas
Hi there,

My grand grandfather was Meškauskas, who left Lithuania for the USA right before or after 1900 and lived there for more than 20 years. He may have had another family there.

As the commentator said, Meszkauskas, 'sz' pronounced as [sh], is now spelled as Meškauskas, but in old documents you will only find the 'sz' spelling (because of historical reasons).

Tonaitis is a Lithuanian surname, although rare. Tonaiciuke is not a surname, it is a diminutive word from Tonaitis, meaning something like 'a little girl of Tonaitis', so Tonaiciuke must have been either a daughter or a sister of Tonaitis, or a young unmarried female member of the Tonaitis' family. The female name equivalent for Tonaitis would be Tonaityte (for unmarried), or Tonaitiene (for married women). As I mentioned before, it is highly unlikely that a married woman would be referred to as Tonaiciuke. Besides, it is also highly unlikely that this diminutive form was used by someone from West or North West Lithuania, unless dictated by somebody else.

Further,Stanaitis and Sakalauskas are quite frequent surnames and up to this date they are spelled like this. As for Nauyokas, this is an anglicized version of the Lithuanian 'Naujokas', as 'j' is pronounced as [y] as in 'yet'. The female surname for Naujokas would be Naujokaite(for unmarried women) and Naujokiene (for married).

Last, Waraikiute. As it was mentioned in the previous reply, W is now spelled as 'V', but in old documents you will only find W spelling for V, as in case of 'sz' and 'š'. Unfortunately, there are no such surnames as 'Varaikiute' or 'Varaikius/ Varaikis' in Lithuanian. However, there are very similar surnames 'Vareikis' and 'Vareika', which, I guess, might be the surnames you are looking for. So, 'Vareikis' for men, 'Vareikyte' for unmarried women, 'Vareikiene' for married women; and 'Vareika' for men, 'Vareikaite' for unmarried women, 'Vareikiene' for married women.

I hope, this helps.

Regards,
Jurate
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
angelameskaus... 22 May 2012 11:39PM GMT 
tsadausk 23 May 2012 6:08PM GMT 
LitLemko 30 Jun 2012 1:18AM GMT 
jurate_deve 4 Nov 2012 5:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions