Simultaneous with Braddock's march across the mountains, in June 1755, an army road was being made by the colony of Pennsylvania from Shippensburg, by Raytown (Bedford) to Turkey Foot. Its purpose was to transport supplies to Braddock's Army. It was opened, at great cost and labor, as far as the top of Allegheny Mountain, within eighteen miles of Turkey Foot; when the battle of Turtle creek having occurred, the laborers were alarmed and driven off by the French and Indians to Fort Cumberland. Thereupon the road was forsaken, until some years after Forbes captured Fort DuQuesne, when its openings was resumed and completed. It was called Turkey Foot or Smith's Road.
The name of Smith was given to the road, because while it was being made, a lad of about sixteen, James Smith, was captured by the Indians and carried to Fort DuQuesne, where he was on the eventual 9th of July 1755, and witnessed the departure and return of the conquerors of Braddock, and the torture of prisoners which occurred that night. Mr. Smith afterwards became famous in the frontier and Revolutionary wars in Westmoreland and Bedford Counties, and held civil offices of honor. He subquently removed to Kentucky, where he became a colonel and a member of the Legislature.
Ref: The Monongahela of Old, by James Veech, p 33.