On August 31, 1924, five hundred people, from many parts of Virginia, a number of them descendants of the Roads children who survived the massacre of 1764, assembled at "Hope Farm", the scene of the tragedy, and unveiled a monument to the memory of the victims. Mr. P. S. Rhodes, of Woodstock, read a brief history of the Roads (Rhoades) family. Miss Sarah Kauffman read an appropriate essay. Addresses were made by Bishop L. J. Heatwole, Mr. D. L. Kauffman, Mr. H.M. Strickler, and others. The monument of native blue limestone, is the cunning handiwork of Mr. P. M. Kauffman, an aged descendant of one of John Road's daughters. A bountiful dinner was prepared for all visitors from a distance by Mrs. Bauserman, the widow of the late George R. Bauserman, and a daughter of Reuben Ruffner, deceased.
(for additional particulars of the Roads massacre, "Hope Farm", the family history, and the unveiling of the memorial on August 31, 1924, the reader is referred to Kercheval's History of the Valley, 3rd edition, pages 101-103: H. M. Strickler's "Massanutten", pages 81-90; and the Page News and Courier, Luray, Va., date of September 2, 1924.)
Elizabeth married Jacob Gochenour
Esther married Dr. Jacob Kaufman
Michael - one of the captives - married Ann Strickler, daughter of Benjamin Strickler
Among early mennonite preachers of Shenandoah County were Michael Kaufman (1714-1788); John Rhodes, killed by Indians in 1764 or 1766; Jacob Strickler, of "Egypt"; Abraham Heistand, minister in Thornton's Gap after the Reveolution; Henry Shank, and Revs. Stauffer and Graybill, who preached on the North Fork (Shenandoah) as early as 1754.