Search for content in message boards

Blackhawk Cherokee?

Replies: 2

Blackhawk Cherokee?

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 2:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Apr 2013 10:44PM GMT
Surnames: Mosley, Jones, Bridgeman, Sizemore, Gunn, Sands, Rogers, Thornsberry, Stumbo
I have told since I was a child, that my maternal grandfather's family is part Cherokee. While I discuss my family in this, the main topic is bigger than my surname or individuals. I am seeking to understand the term, "Blackhawk Cherokee".

Apparently a couple of my great-great grandfather's (Nathaniel Mosley) children- and alleged sister, Mahalia (definitely some kin to him)- said three different sets of individuals were their parents. One of Nathaniel's kids claimed it was Henry Mosley and Rebecca Jones (sometimes called Bridgeman). Another said John Mosley and I think Mary Jones. And then Mahalia had a niece who lived into her 90's or maybe 100's, who told some of my living kin that Mahalia told her that the Mosleys got their name from William Blackhawk Mosley (also known as W.C. or M.C.). I wasn't there when she said this, but I have also heard it said that Mahalia- my great, great, great aunt- said he was her father. I had thought maybe he was her grandpa. Apparently there was, around the right time period for them to be kin to my people, a W.C. Mosley and Henry Mosley near a William Blackhawk Sizemore, supposedly Cherokee, definitely some Native American.

Then, another family member on my paternal side, is said to descend from the Cherokee and to be of the "Blackhawk Tribe". I know the Cherokee had many clans- 7, I believe- but see no Blackhawk clan. All I can think of is A. by Blackhawk Clan, they mean descendants of a Cherokee named Blackhawk, 2. They are talking about a diff. set of Natives, maybe one mixed with Cherokee, 3. They are talking about a diff. set of American Indians, period.

I have also found other people discussing the term "Blackhawk Cherokee". I wonder where this name comes from, and what, if anything, it means.

I looked in books called Cherokee by Blood, compiled by Jerry Wright Jordan. It included some U.S. court claims from 1906-1910. There was a Coowie Blackhawk accepted into the tribe. There was a Julia Ann and Minnie B. Mos(e)ley rejected. There was an Ellen Whitewater with kids Sally & Mary whose parents were Blackhawk and Wahlee Tah. She was accepted in. Annie Blackhaw (there was no k at the end, but it's close) and Emma (I think it was) were, I believe, admitted. Louisa D. Gunn who applied with 6 children. In her claim, her husband wrote on her behalf and mentioned her uncle, William Croffard who he says was known as Black Hawk. She was rejected. Ollie Sands claimed through her father Matthew Rogers, aka. Hawk. She said his mother was Polly Kelly and his father was Blackhawk. There was another Moseley listed, but she was only so by her married name and the husband was not the source of Native ancestry.

There was a Cherokee chief Blackhawk, apparently, in Pope, Arkansas, in what I suppose was a reservation or resettlement area. You can read about Chief Blackhawk here: http://www.arfamilies.info/gopope.htm

Many people claiming Cherokee ancesty also list Blackhawk somebody as an ancestor, such as Blackhawk Sizemore and GoldenHawk Sizemore. DNA tests have proven some Native ancestry for this family.

A now locked forum- you can read, but can't post or sign up- shows two threads on this. One here:

http://www.saponitown.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1561.htm...

The above thread mentioned Blackhawk Mosley- my alleged ancestor from the Cherokee Nation. It doesn't mention Thornsberry which is my ancestor claiming to be of a Blackhawk Cherokee tribe.

Then the next one mentions Blackhawk Cherokee:

http://www.saponitown.com/forum/showthread.php?3538-Im-a-new...

Does Blackhawk Cherokee simply mean Cherokee descended from people named Blackhawk? Does anyonw know about William Blackhawk Mosley? How about Nancy Jane Thornsberry m. Frederick Stumbo?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cari_Leigh 2 Feb 2011 9:47PM GMT 
makeithappen1... 8 Apr 2013 9:29PM GMT 
KathyRoberts5... 9 Apr 2013 4:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic