Search for content in message boards

Chief Samuel Wood Cherokee

Replies: 5

Chief (?) Wood

Posted: 22 Dec 2000 1:09PM GMT
Barbara,

I have a question or two for you:

In and around the 1812 era, the Native Americans very rarely were using "white" names. Do you have the Native name for this Samuel Wood?

As for the 'list' of the various chiefs, certainly someone, somewhere, would have something like that....but for the past umpteen years that I've been doing research on the Cherokee Nation, I can't say that I've ever heard of such a listing.

I can suggest this to you: The Cherokee Nation had their leaders, of that you can be sure, but the tribe (as far as I know of it) never had one leader, per se. The leadership was usually wrapped up in a package of about a dozen men, each having a particular strength in one area, and all minds met in meetings to come to decisions which benefitted the tribe. Now, this is a generalized way of stating how the tribe was run, and I've certainly cut corners saying this in a mere few words, but this is the jest of it.

If you can produce the Indian name for your Samuel, I will certainly offer my help in obtaining any information for you I can get my hands on.
Z
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
xxBarbaraParh... 26 Nov 2000 7:49PM GMT 
Z 22 Dec 2000 8:09PM GMT 
Linda Proctor Benskin 10 Feb 2001 4:16PM GMT 
Z 14 Feb 2001 7:21AM GMT 
Uowntu 14 Feb 2001 7:33AM GMT 
GoldenMoo 9 Apr 2010 4:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic