Search for content in message boards

Indian Chee - Cherokee? Dew/Due family

Replies: 2

Indian Chee - Cherokee? Dew/Due family

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 12:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dew, Due
Sorry, this is a bit long. I am looking for help identifying my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandmother. Yes that is a long time ago. :)

As I was growing up we had little information on my Dad's side of the family except that they were Scottish.
We couldn't trace our family back past my Great Great Grandfather John Rhoderick Due. My Dad was interested in our past and had done a bunch of research but kept hitting a dead end in Alabama.

When my Dad died a few years ago my Mom gave me a bunch of documents and among them were notes he had taken about a family member name James Due - someone I had never heard of.

Among the notes were references to a family bible page and other documents from a trading post.

The relevant information here is that it has listed a
Chee Squah
as the mother of James and Seth Dew. From the notes the same woman is referred to as Elizabeth Ann and she worked in the family trading post with James' father William. So I took this to mean she was a Native American woman named Chee.

That is pretty much all I had to work with. I was living in New Mexico at the time and Chee is a common Navajo name so I tried asking around about a Navajo Chee married to a white man named William Dew or Dewes running a trading post but I never got anywhere. Honestly I didn't spend much time on it as I had never heard of James before and I was going through a lot at the time.

Well the other day I was just got it in my head to search for my family names and found this long write up about what must be my family.

My Great Grand father was John Rhoderick Due. His father was James Due (born Dew(es)) and he lived in South Carolina. In fact, his father had an Indian trading post just outside of Fort 96 in the 1750s. Today it is Called Due West. And there is speculation that Jame's mother was Native American.

This just blew me away. So it all fits. It is kind of crazy to wrap my head around. I went from no history to almost too much.

Anyway, this makes me think that she might have been Cherokee.

Is Chee a Cherokee name as well a Navajo name? There is also a reference to Aniglahi. Could that have been her last name?

I guess there is some speculation that James' mother might have been the son of Patrick Brown. It says he was an Indian trader with the Creeks - I guess I will try that next if there is no luck here.

Thank you very much for any information you might be able to share. Sorry if I left anything out. If I did I will fill in any gaps I know.

Thanks again.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Due123 28 Jun 2013 6:06PM GMT 
Due123 21 Jul 2013 3:02PM GMT 
Joyce_Reece 31 Jul 2013 5:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic