Search for content in message boards

Richard TAYLOR aka Chief FOX TAYLOR & Ruthy TAYLOR b. abt. 1776

Replies: 6

Richard TAYLOR aka Chief FOX TAYLOR & Ruthy TAYLOR b. abt. 1776

Posted: 7 Aug 2004 7:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Sep 2006 11:13PM GMT
Surnames: TAYLOR, TOWNSEND, CROW, WHITFIELD, JONES, ANDERSON
I am a descendant of Ruthy and Richard TAYLOR of the Red Clay, Tennessee, and Whitfield Co., Georgia area, through their daughter Anna TAYLOR who married Edward TOWNSEND, and their daughter, Pheobe TOWNSEND who married Abraham CROW.

I have been researching Richard TAYLOR and found some interesting documents. I'm not sure it's our guy, but the pieces to the puzzle seem to fit.

There was a Richard TAYLOR, born in Cherokee Nation, that was a paid translator for the U.S. Gov't in Tenneessee. There are several references to him in Government documents from 1816 to 1836. (Janelle Swearingen who abstracted the Records of the Cherokee Agency in Tennessee did an excellent job! Thank you, Janelle!)

Richard TAYLOR was also a witness on several Treaties and led a detachment into Indian Territory during the forced removal of the Cherokee around 1838. An affidavit states that Ruthy TAYLOR was removed around 1838, although it does not reference any detachment.

One Richard TAYLOR was also listed as President of the National Committee and Council and People of the Cherokee Nation in General Council in 1838.

Whereas, Richard TAYLOR may be a common Anglo name, it is that likely this is our ancestor. Richard, a Native American Cherokee, would have probably learned English from Ruthy, and that would have enabled him to serve as interpreter for the US Agent, Col. Meigs. Based on the timeline, Richard would have been about 30-40 years old.

I haven't been able to tie Richard TAYLOR to his alleged Cherokee name, Chief FOX TAYLOR or Chief Red FOX. Although, I think it is interesting that his title of "President" could be interpreted as the Anglo equivalent of "Chief."

Ruthy is listed on the Henderson Rolls Index, but I haven't been able to obtain the specific information. Does anyone have specific information on Ruthy? Was she really abducted or was she also Native American?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Teri Michelle
TeriMichelle7@aol.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tmjones7_1 8 Aug 2004 1:07AM GMT 
LightFoot_P 14 Aug 2004 11:46PM GMT 
tmjones7_1 15 Aug 2004 2:20AM GMT 
LighteningFox 15 Aug 2004 3:04AM GMT 
Preston 25 Sep 2004 11:59PM GMT 
tmjones7_1 27 Sep 2004 1:31AM GMT 
Lillian Champagne 18 Apr 2006 11:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic