Search for content in message boards

MS-TX families

Replies: 4

MS Choctaw Investment Company

Dennis Boswell (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Connie, following is a note that appeared on the CHOCTAW-SE list several weeks ago. It might contain something of value to you.

"Subject: Re: [CHOCTAW-SE] Miss. Choctaw Molton, Winningham, or Hogan;
To: CHOCTAW-SOUTHEAST-L@rootsweb.com

Jeanie:

There were many lawsuits filed around the turn of the century until about 1920's by various groups of Choctaws in an effort to receive reparation for the misdeeds on the part of the Dawes Commission during the removals. It
sounds like your Mississippi Choctaw Investment Co. was one of those groups.

In the end these claims were all found invalid and were thrown out of court. None of those Choctaws who sought action agains the government were permitted to enroll or receive land allotments. That's just the "first
page" of the story.

One of the more famous of these actions was the "Lawyer Weir" case which I have a few documents from courtesy our dear Jackie Matte who found them in the National Archives on one of her research trips. After years of promising this group of Choctaws he would gain restitution for them he was eventually found guilty of fraud in soliciting money from the group of for supposed legal action against the government. There are supposed to be a mysterious boxes of documents relating to this case being held by two of his
descendants who are refusing to turn them over to the library in Mississippi. I think most of the cases were of the same ilk - attorneys trying to get rich on the misfortune of those Choctaws who were never notified of deadlines, avoided due to blood quantum discriminations, etc.

Researchers who have been to the National Archives report there are 17 linear feet of boxes containing all sorts of documents filed with the Comm. of Indian Affairs relating to these many cases. Apparently you have to go through them by hand and request copies.

I scanned the names on the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek and don't see a signature of a Hogan and Molton. Could this person who signed have had a Chahta name?"

I know nothing about this subject, but thought you might be interested in this note, Connie.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
danielfam4 29 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Dennis Boswell 29 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Nitewinddance... 2 Nov 2002 9:36AM GMT 
Colette Merchant 19 Nov 2004 8:27PM GMT 
rosser_cole 25 Jan 2013 10:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic