Search for content in message boards

Canadian Metis Organizations

Replies: 35

Thank you - can you help with the history

Posted: 14 Sep 2005 1:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Sep 2005 10:57AM GMT
Surnames: Roy, Roi, Houle, Wendling, Lacombre, Ke-Kan-an-gwe, Ogiwens, Jishib, Chichib
Wow. Thank you for the response. Overwhelming that you spent so much time and energy on me!! As far as enrolling in the Fond du Lac tribe, as I mentioned, I'm not interested in the benefits Indian/Metis heritage has to offer. I have been affiliated with things Indian and have received many benefits that I will forever be grateful for, though that is not my interest in pursuing my lineage. I am pursuing because I want to know the stories, the lifestyles. My aunts and uncles are enrolled as are several of my cousins. The reason my father wasn't enrolled according to my grandmother is that "being Indian wasn't cool back then" so she didn't do it. I think my grandfather caused problems for the family and maybe even the tribe. I'm not sure. In any case, when my father attempted enrollment in the 1980s he was denied, stating that blood quantum rules had changed to 1/4, thus he didn't qualify. Since then, my older cousins have been enrolled based on age (those born before 1954 were given some sort of grandfathering in). I was born 1964, so am not eligible to my knowledge.

The reason for my interest is that my father was Indian and my mother, Finnish. They divorced when I was young and my father spent little time with us. I am interested in learning the stories of his lifetime, and those of his parents/brothers/ sisters/grandparents etc.

I recently learned that my heritage came from LaPointe Wisconsin and that they were all actually Metis. My ancestor Vincent Roy (there are three of them that I know of) married women of Ojibwe descent. Whether they were full-blood Ojibwe or Metis I'm not sure. Vincent Roy, Jr (b: 1794) married Lizette Lacombre (who I'm told was Metis). Their daughter Catherine Roy, married Joseph Houle. Joseph Houle's parents were Jean-Baptiste Houle and Caroline Ke-Kan-an-gwe (many spellings for her name) aka Charlotte Jishib/Chichib. Caroline's father was Akanangwe. Jean-Baptiste Houle was listed as Metis also, though I do not know about his wife.

Vincent Roy, Sr (also known as Vincentius Roi) married Josepha Ogiwens/Ogiwebs in LaPointe by Father Baraga at St. Joseph's mission church. I have names of Vincent's parents, father and grandfather named Pierre but haven't had the chance to research them regarding their nationality, besides French of course.

My direct line comes from the marriage of Joseph Houle and Catherine Roy. Their daughter, Lizette Houle married my g grandfather, George Wendling.

I understand that the Metis (at least the French/Ojibwe) culture is very different from either European or Indian and that a whole new culture developed from that relationship, including language, religion, celebrations etc. As I learn more of the Metis culture I feel an instant connection that I cannot explain which explains my interest in learning more. It may sound simple, or trite. I could be mistaken, though I don't think so. Please feel free to email me with your thoughts. You are obviously very knowledged and I appreciate any thoughts you are willing to share. Do you know any of the stories of the LaPointe area? I've read some on the internet and have seen Vincent Roy's name numerous times on various Metis websites. I believe that the Roy family is from Quebec. Well, actually according the the LDS website, Vincent Roy, Sr, born 1764 was born Saint Francios-de-Sales, Ile-Jesus, Quebec and died in LaPointe Wisconsin. His son, Vincent Roy, Jr was born 1794/1795 Lac de la Sangse (??Leech Lake) LaPointe, Wi. I question that, because there is a Leech Lake, Minnesota, which is where I'm from. Vincent Jr. worked for Hudson Bay for 15 years around 1820, then for Hudson Bay in Rainy Lake until around 1824. He then moved to LaPointe in 1840 and worked for the American Fur co. until 1845.

Again, thank you so much for your time.

Cammie Wendling
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ctscvevk 14 Sep 2005 7:39PM GMT 
metismartin 12 Mar 2011 4:34PM GMT 
shannonvancev... 15 Oct 2011 6:10AM GMT 
Lynton_Stewar... 24 May 2008 12:30AM GMT 
Johan_Robitai... 24 May 2008 1:00AM GMT 
llangstaff1 24 Jun 2008 8:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions