Search for content in message boards

Semosh/Symns/Simus/ on and on?? Help?

Replies: 0

Semosh/Symns/Simus/ on and on?? Help?

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 11:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Its been hinted that I should look into the Carpathein-Rusyn aspect of the area. I have been reserching for some years now on American roots, howeve its not time to begin on the POLISH side of the family. So since I am such a newbie at it, I would appreciate any help I can get.

My immigrant ancestor was my grandfather...Jan (John) Symus bc 1899 in what is thought to be Rawkoka, Poland...accoring to some docs I have, but on others it says Russia??

Anyhow he immigrated in 1911 via Ellis Island, NY and settled in the mining region of Lackawanna county, PA. until he died. When he immigrated he left behind a wife and infant daughter. The wife immigrated in 1913 and the daughter not until 1928. (Why? who knows). Also can you tell me what is a TUTOR in Poland? Was it similar to what we call guardianship here?
I have seen his surname mangled up into many spellings over time, so am not sure just exactly how it was originally spelled back in the old country.

His immigration papers say he was Polish, but birth was Russia. So am I to assume that at one time Rawkoka was within Russian boundaries and over time it changed back into the country of Poland?

I also need to understand how the levels of gevernment go. (i.e our towns, counties, states, country etc). And so many name places contain the same names??? Awfully confusing to me.

Where is Strupin Maly Poland? And what is it classified as: town, village, hamlet, ?? And what province would it be in?

I have a partial act of marrige that makes absolutely no sense to me at all...its been transcribed..from what to English I don't have a clue, and it leaves out the crutial middle section.

Any assistance appreciated.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions