Search for content in message boards

Yep, they want to be found.

Replies: 0

Yep, they want to be found.

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 8:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
I think this is such a great topic! I myself have always enjoyed this aspect of genealogy.

I've had several instances where I've felt "guided" to find an individual. I always laugh and say, "there you go. We found you."

The funniest one to me, though, is recent. I've had family members who were "genealogists" and whose work I've inherited after they passed on. But I've always been stuck in the same spot they left me, and when I try to get further, I never can. Then, in the last two years I've had several family members (who weren't into genealogy at all) pass on, as well as a dear cousin who collaborated with me as we tried to crumble the brickwalls surrounding a 4th great-grandmother. It was so fun working together on that, and I miss her terribly. So not long ago, after being stuck (very stuck) in the same place on my Thomas line, I was able to find confirmation that a man I suspected was my 3rd great-grandfather's brother indeed was. And his bio mentioned the names I had suspected were their parents. Then, on a whim, I searched and found the will extract for his father! Using that, I was able to find siblings I never knew about, etc. And then the paper trail took me back to the Rev. David Thomas, a prominent Baptist preacher from PA who went to VA, and eventually settled in Jessamine Co., KY, and died there. So I was pondering if my dear cousin had shown me the way, but if she had, why the Thomas line? She and I had never discussed that branch. Then I had the funniest thought... I think it was my mother-in-law. You see, she was the wife of a Baptist preacher... and when I married into the family, I was Catholic, which caused some "tension." So I think it was my mother-in-law, trying to show me, "See?! You're supposed to be Baptist!" It makes a lot of sense to me! ;)

I personally believe genealogists are chosen. Nobody in my family understands why I feel compelled to do this, and I can't explain why I can't "just stop." I just wish more of those folks who have passed on wanted to be found!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions