Search for content in message boards

WWII Photos to share with families

Replies: 5

WWII Photos to share with families

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 12:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Werthwein
Hello -

My grandfather, Christian Werthwein, served in the Army in WWII - 77th Division, 305th Infantry. He was an accountant and a very detailed person, even for a young guy, and took his own camera with him through his training and various deployments during WWII - and then wrote the last name, and even sometimes the town, of his fellow soldiers on the photos.

I've recently begun scanning them and think these photos should be seen by the families of these boys. They are very candid moments before they shipped out to Leyte in the Philippines - many of these boys may not have made it home. And, he has lots of them - I'd say well over one hundred.

I know WWII photos are in abundance - and I've talked to the archives about them. But, I'm really focused here on how to share them with possible descendants of the men serving in WWII. I know how much I treasure them as his granddaughter.

I did find one family after searching for the name and location on ACOM. I sent a message and it took about a one month exchange before figuring out that it was the right family. It brought them great joy (though it was now the surviving sister b/c the actual photographed Army boy had passed away.)

What's the best way to approach this? Is there a better way to help to connect these photos with their families? I've attached one example below -

Thanks -
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
akcorcoran 8 Mar 2011 7:43AM GMT 
lilgoomer 27 Mar 2011 9:30PM GMT 
akcorcoran 28 Mar 2011 11:57AM GMT 
blondie4091 12 Sep 2011 2:52AM GMT 
madaheth195 21 Sep 2011 2:12PM GMT 
Weese1 13 Apr 2013 11:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic