Search for content in message boards

Thoenes or Thones (with an umlaut)

Replies: 6

Re: Thoenes or Thones (with an umlaut)

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 7:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you for an interesting post and the attached images.

Every family in the area had their crest painted on the ceiling. The 'arms' you refer to is an ox-bow represents a farmer. The neck armor represents a solder. The stone hammer presents the stone mason.
UNQUOTE
I have no idea from where you gleaned this information because I very much doubt its validity. Those things that you mention are not what you say they are. Anything that appears on a coat of arms symbolises nothing in particular other than what was in the mind of the herald and his client when those arms were devised. Unless they committed that symbolism to writing, it is pure conjecture.

First of all (as this is an educational message board as well as an enquiry board) lets get our heraldic terms correct. What you have shown in all three images are 'achievements of arms,' more often referred to as 'coats of arms'. A 'Crest' is the bit that sits on top of the helmet (see the word 'crest' in a dictionary). In this case, the crest would be blazoned (heraldically described),'... between two Horns quarterly Gules and Or an upright hammer also Gules'.

The shield of the arms would be blazoned, 'Per Fess Azure and per Pale Gules and Or in base two upright hammers counterchanged'.

What you have to remember is that just because you see a coat of arms somewhere, it doesn't mean that they have been recorded in a particular surname. And even if they are recorded somewhere, they normally pertain to the original armiger who was a person and not a family. On his death, the arms would be inherited by his legitimate offspring. For you to be able to have any claim in those arms you would have to have a fully documented pedigree (including all the children of each generation) back to the original armiger.

According to my cousin in Germany we are not related to each other.
UNQUOTE
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the meaning/purpose of this statement. If he's your cousin, you must be related!

If you would like any further discussion please email me at gjks 'at' yahoo.com.au replacing the 'at' with a @ and I'll assist where I can.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
B. Thomas 27 Nov 1999 11:14AM GMT 
Carter Thoene... 10 Jul 2011 4:18PM GMT 
gjks 15 Jul 2011 5:25AM GMT 
Carter Thoene... 18 Jul 2011 1:16AM GMT 
gjks 18 Jul 2011 2:36AM GMT 
Carter Thoene... 2 Aug 2011 8:27PM GMT 
gjks 3 Aug 2011 1:24AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions