Search for content in message boards

'THAMES" IMMIGRATION SHIP 1826 CORK IRELAND TO SYDNEY

Replies: 2

'THAMES" IMMIGRATION SHIP 1826 CORK IRELAND TO SYDNEY

Posted: 24 May 2011 8:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: THAMES IMMIGRATION SHIP 1826
Please let me introduce myself. I am Bob Starling and I am a family history researcher. My interest is the Irish immigration ship the Thames which brought wives and children from Cork Ireland to Sydney to unite with their husband/father who had been transported prior to 1826. The Thames was the first immigration ship to carry families direct from Ireland. My connection with the Thames is through my wife’s line. Her Grandmother was a Whitfield with her line back to Jacob Whitfield who was transported with his family immigrating on the Thames.

Researching the families that immigrated on the Thames is a challenging undertaking as there is no official passenger list existing in the NSW State Archives, the National Archives in Canberra or the National Archives in Dublin Ireland. Fortunately a researcher named Lyn Vincent of Lyndon Genealogy has managed to reconstruct a passenger list through using the 1828 Census, the Ship Surgeon’s Report, Birth, Death and Marriage Indexes and the Australian Biographical & Genealogical Record.

The purpose of listing this message is to locate extended family members of those that immigrated on the Thames with the view to drawing together background information on what has happened to those Thames families and their convict husbands since 1826. My objective is to document as many as possible Thames family stories and provide this information to the Mitchell Library and to the Society of Australian Genealogists (SAG) in the form of a manuscript. A copy would also be made available to those families that contribute to the manuscript.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bob Starling
clayton@aanet.com.au
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
youlheritage 25 May 2011 2:55AM GMT 
jonnijean 10 Sep 2012 11:30PM GMT 
youlheritage 11 Sep 2012 6:11AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic