Search for content in message boards

Savage & children in 1856/57

Replies: 0

Savage & children in 1856/57

Posted: 14 May 2014 3:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Savage, Collins
I am trying to trace a man with surname Savage who is said to have come to Australia in 1856 or 1857 with two young children who were born in 1851 and perhaps 1853. Unfortunately neither his first name nor those of the children are known, which makes the search a "brick wall".

The mother of the children was Elizabeth (Eliza) Collins who was born in Tyrone Ireland and died of consumption about 1st quarter 1856 near London, Eng.

It is possible that Savage, being widowered with two small children, remarried before leaving for Australia. He could also have remarried after he arrived there.

I checked the available ships lists for the time period involved for a Savage family with male and two children, with and without wife, without any success. I know from those listings that there were a number of large ships arriving with 300-400 third class and steerage passengers each who were not individually identified.

I do not know what sort of occupation or trade Savage had, but in all mentions of him and Eliza, money or a shortage of it was never mentioned.

The two of them may have been married in late 1849 or early 1850 in Ireland and did sail to America in the spring of 1850 and returned to Belfast, Ireland by December of that same year. I did find a James Savage age 20 & Eliza Savage age 26 arriving at New York on 3 June 1850 on the ship Stella. They could be husband and wife or brother and sister.

If this looks of interest to you, I would be pleased to hear back.

John Collins
Sarnia, Ont., Canada

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions