Search for content in message boards

KERR and HENDERSON family-group, Ireland to Canada 1823-1825

Replies: 0

KERR and HENDERSON family-group, Ireland to Canada 1823-1825

Posted: 6 May 2013 3:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kerr, Henderson
Hello,

I just discovered that this Message Board exists. I checked the archives and I don't see any messages about my ancestors from past years. I'll just post a brief summary of them; there is a lot of information in the archives of the Lists and Boards at www.rootsweb.com

Between 1823-1825 a family-group of KERR's and HENDERSON's left County Sligo, Ireland and migrated to Canada. They were told to settle in Argenteuil County, Province of Quebec, which is northwest of the St. Lawrence River. There were 9 people, 4 couples and a single lady (who married in Canada). They initially settled in "the Former Township of Gore" which is where Lakefield, Lachute, and Mill Isles are now. (There is a Mailing List for the "Former Township of Gore" at www.rootsweb.com )

The 5 couples had many children and thus have many descendants. And, there is at least one data base about them. My ancestors, Robert KERR and Elizabeth HENDERSON, were born there in 1827, then married there. They had 5 children mostly during 1850's, and I think it was the 1860's when they moved down to Compton County. Between 1873 and 1885, most of the family migrated down to Boston, MA. Their oldest, William KERR, came down first, married near Boston, and had 6 children. His sister followed and also married here, then the parents and their 2 younger sons came down. William KERR would become my great-grandfather.

I have 3 sets of ancestors who either went to Canada, first, or who went back and forth between Canada and Maine. Because of this, I started up a List and Boards for CAN-USA-Migration at www.rootsweb.com

Betty (near Lowell, MA, USA)

(on Lists and Boards at www.rootsweb.com for 12+ yrs.; now an Admin for 10 Lists and 5 Boards)

FYI:

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/CAN/CAN-QC-GOR...

Find a board about a specific topic