Search for content in message boards

McLean Immigration Disaster of 1857

Replies: 0

McLean Immigration Disaster of 1857

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 5:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McLean
Hello,

Wondering if anyone has ties to the McLean's that immigrated to Canada from the Isle of Skye in 1857.

My grandmother (Lois McLean born in 1928 Belleville area) gave me some documentation yesterday regarding the immigration to Canada on the John McKenzie Ship from Glasgow. The McLean's then boarded the Steamship Montreal in which a tragic fire occurred in the St. Lawrence River and many died. According to my family letter...the Father, Mother, and one daughter who I believe was named Mary died. I believe the Mother was named Jane, but cannot verify the name of the Father.

4 McLean children survived by swimming to shore, Roderick age 14, John age 16, Catherine age 12, and the oldest boy age 20. The oldest boy's name is conflicting on several reports...It was Owen according to the St. Andrews Society of Montreal who took the children in after the accident, Edward according to the John McKenzie shipping record, and Hugh according to a family letter I have.

Does anyone have information regarding any of the above noted poeple? The St. Andrew's Society, and my family letter both say the children left for Perth Ontario in July 1857.

Thanks so much!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions