Search for content in message boards

Horhota

Replies: 2
Posted: 14 Dec 2011 5:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Horhota, Trojan
Hi! I was hoping that someone could help me out. Please bear with me as this is a long message - basically I'm looking for two different things.

My Great Grandfather was Hrykno Horhota (Harry) and was born around 1886 in Koropets, L'Viv, or in Koropiec. (Are those two the same?) He had several siblings - Maria or Marya (it was later anglicized to Mary), Semen/Simon/Samko, Iwan (John), and Wasyl (William). Someone found those names for me, but I'm not sure where... I have only been able to confirm that they existed through other records, none of them originating in Ukraine. In 1905, he immigrated to Canada.

I want to first know about his roots in Ukraine. Most of the siblings I mentioned either ended up in Buffalo, New York, or St. Catharines, Ontario. Semen seems to have stayed behind, although his daughters, Anne and Ksenia, later immigrated. I would really like to know their parents names, though, maybe their occupations and any other information. I know Harry later went on to be a moulder... not sure if that's relevant?

The other thing is that apparently Harry went back to Ukraine for a while to fight in a war. Would anyone know what war this was? He came back either with his wife or fiance, Maria Trojan.

I'm also trying to develop a better understanding of his life in Canada. The only thing I found was one record of his son being born, as well as two records of each of his nieces' marriages, although his name was never mentioned on either document. I'd really like to find my grandfather's birth certificate.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to how those things can be accomplished? I have tried ancestry.ca and familysearch.org, but found very little.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Amy Bock 15 Dec 2011 12:20AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 16 Dec 2011 6:35PM GMT 
Amy Bock 17 Dec 2011 10:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions