Search for content in message boards

How and When did the Shepperson/Sheperson family come to US from England?

Replies: 1

How and When did the Shepperson/Sheperson family come to US from England?

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 5:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shepperson, Sheperson, Fletcher, other possible variations/misspellings

Hi,

I have had no success in finding out passenger list/dates/ship information from UK to USA for Joseph R Shepperson, his wife Sophia (Sofia) Fletcher Shepperson, and their children to the USA.

Joseph R. Shepperson and Sophia Fletcher (her mother remarried to a James Hawley) were married I believe in Belper in 1849. They are listed in the 1861 England census: Joseph R, Sophia, children Joseph abt 1851, Elizabeth Ann, Mary Sophia, Frederick T, George (died at the age of 22 in 1881?). My Harry (Henry?) Shepperson apparently was not yet born as he not on the 1861 census. Although Harry's birthdate has been noted in various ways - abt 1861, 1864, 1865 (and what is on his gravestone), 1866 was on his naturalization card.

They are listed on the 1870 US Census for Ipswich Massachusetts. I suspect since they worked in the mill (apparently the Ipswich Hosiery Mill opened there in 1868) I think that is why they went to Ipswich). In 1880 Joseph R and sons Frederick T and Harry were in Needham, Massachusetts (another big hosiery/knitting town) along with Joseph R and Sophia's daughter Annie Elizabeth, her husband William Trainer and their two young children.

Joseph R died in Newburyport (close to Ipswich) in 1904; Sophia died in 1906 also in Newburyport. Harry Shepperson died in the flu epidemic of 1918 on Dec 11th and his wife Ella Langdale Shepperson died in 1941 - both of them died and buried in Needham, Massachusetts. 1890 US census was mostly destroyed by fire so no records from that. 1900 Joseph R and Sophia are in Newburyport living with their daughter Mary Sophia Shepperson Evans.

Another son Joseph B. Shepperson (b abt 1851/1852 depending on what you are looking at) was also a knitter. He lived in Needham. Joseph B's naturalization even was 4 Feb 1893; Harry Shepperson's naturalization event was 24 Feb 1904.

Harry's 1910 US Census listing says his immigration year was 1876 (and someone corrected to 1896) but I don't believe that is correct.

I would be so grateful if someone could help me clear up this mystery. I really feel like I have endlessly searched and researched ancestry.com, familysearch.org - without success. Although I have found out a lot about my mother's mother's side of the family, I haven't figured this out yet.

They are from the derbyshire/nottinghamshire area.

Happy to give anymore information that might help.

Best,

Janice

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jgildawie 23 Feb 2013 12:12AM GMT 
jgildawie 17 Mar 2013 1:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions