Search for content in message boards

Needing some help!!!

Replies: 7

Re: Needing some help!!!

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 9:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
I hear you, Robert. I feel the same way when I spend considerable time helping people who either never respond or who do respond but not with those two little words all us helper long to hear.

In this case, the young genealogist is probably a college student to young adult and may be on vacation without internet access.

As a tip for others: there will be people who will be glad to help and yeah not everyone has full subscriptions to Ancestry and etc all the time (I let mine lapse then renew after a few months when I'm ready for another researching burst). But that doesn't mean you can't do some of the research yourself anyway. Your library will likely have free Ancestry access on their computers (some even give it to your computer via wifi if you're there in person). So do NARA archives and Family History Libraries. Unless you're in a very isolated place, there is probably one or more of the above within an easy car or bus ride from you.

Also, if you're lucky enough to have older relatives who have the papers, for God's sake, ask them! Don't let this chance slip away. Take notes next time you talk. Ask for photocopies. Go make the photocopies next time you visit (you can also copy with a digital camera). Or Skype if grandma has a computer with a camera and take screenshots (and more notes). Write letters, call, email, whatever works. Tell your relatives stories about your life and ask for theirs.

Why is it easier to ask total strangers to do research for you with very little info to go on than it is to ask your own grandma for information she already knows? (and she may love that you care enough to ask)

Cyndi
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ashleighnicco... 14 Dec 2012 2:15PM GMT 
JoelWeintraub 14 Dec 2012 10:08PM GMT 
ashleighnicco... 15 Dec 2012 2:41AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 20 Dec 2012 1:00AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 27 Dec 2012 1:24AM GMT 
cyndi308 27 Dec 2012 4:45AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 27 Dec 2012 8:52AM GMT 
cyndi308 27 Dec 2012 4:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions