Search for content in message boards

Can't find the address or person I need in a 1910 ED

Replies: 2

Re: Can't find the address or person I need in a 1910 ED

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 11:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Sep 2013 11:47AM GMT
And why didn't you email Steve or myself on this?

So.... let's duplicate the search.

I also get 1328 for Baltimore Ave in 1910... so far so good.

Now, let's look at a modern map and see 223 Baltimore Ave...I only see Baltimore St.... but want to see surrounding street names.... see Hardy Pl, Rhett Ave, Margaret St.

Now to look at 1910 census to see if we are in right area for 1328. Don't see any of these streets in 1328. In fact, the streets I'm seeing are way North of where we want to be... 10 or more blocks north.

The question is, where did we get the resources to do this. The ED definitions are just political information, no street boundaries.

Now, there is a series of Microfilms that have the street indexes for Staten Island for 1910 that I scanned and that's where our information comes from.

So.... I check it and indeed, it shows 1328 for Baltimore and Baltimore Ave.... so we correctly transcribed the base information (whether it's right or not).

So.... let's look up Margaret St, Hardy Pl, Rhett Ave on the One Step search. Hmmm... Rhett Ave shows 1328, so does Hardy Pl.

OK.... let's see if I have ED maps for 1910. No, have lots of 1910 ED maps, not for Staten Island (Richmond) 1910.

Now another problem.... if I look at what streets are contained within 1328 in 1910, which I can do on our utility, I see a ton of streets. That can't be right.

The ED definition I have for 1328 is "Ward 5, Election Dist 37". ED 1328 actual film shows....that I am in ED (Election District) 37. Hmmmmm...

We do the best we can, with the resources we have. I'll let Steve know about this, and if we can figure out another strategy, we will come back to tell you.

There apparently is no online City Directory for the area/year or that would also be something to try.

Joel Weintraub
Dana Point, CA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
thefreudiansl... 19 Sep 2013 11:30AM GMT 
JoelWeintraub 26 Sep 2013 5:45PM GMT 
thefreudiansl... 27 Sep 2013 9:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic